News, Job, Admission, Scholarship, Campus Gist *Beauty & Fashion*

Labels

Ads

20 Mar 2018

Check out Siphesihle: A 22-year-old transgender man - My Daricus Blog


Siphesihle was born a female but knew from a very young age that she identified more as a male. He now identifies himself as a transgender person.

He is the youngest of three children, born and bred in Kwa-Zulu Natal, but now lives in Cape Town. Siphesihle grew up in a very loving family surrounded by laughter and support.

Hear more of his story below:

Childhood:

As a young girl, I gravitated more to what is seen as the more masculine toys and activities. Whilst my female friends would be obsessing with the new Barbie doll, I would be interested in playing outside with the boys with wire cars.

I knew I was in the wrong body when:

Around the age of six or seven was when I knew that I was in the wrong body. My body was changing and I was at the age where I could choose the clothes I wanted to wear. So, while my girlfriends at that age were opting for the colorful, flirty dresses, I would opt for baggy jeans and t-shirts.

The first person I said:

The first person I shared my discomfort of being in the body that I was in was my partner at that time. She was very supportive and did not make a big deal about it. Throughout our time together she was encouraging and understanding.

My family's reaction:

I have been very blessed. My 'coming out story' was received really well by my immediate family. I am most grateful for this as I know that this is not the norm for many transgender people, especially in the African culture.

Transitioning:

I had a double mastectomy in which the breast tissue was removed and my chest was reconstructed. It is a three to four part process. I currently do not have any plans for further surgeries. I am also on hormone therapy.

What I wish people knew:

That transgender people's lives are valid just like anyone else and that we are as real in our gender identity as anyone else. I wish people especially in the black community were more receptive to having conversations about gender identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment